Saturday, October 19, 2024

Ryan Grout - UNH Hockey Goalie of the Future

Ryan Grout (G)
2025 or '26 UNH Commit
" Ryan is a technical goaltender that makes a ton of positional saves where he is in the right spots to make it look simple." Neutral Zone, May, 2022
Ryan Grout Goalie, 5'11", 166 lbs. Catches Left
Hometown: St. Albert, Alberta
DOB: August 15, 2007; 17 years, 2 months
Neutral Zone Rating: 4.0 out of 5 Stars
2024-25 Team: Salmon Arm Silverbacks (British Columbia Hockey League)
Committed to UNH on January 25, 2024 at Age 16 years, 5 months.
2024 USHL Draft: Selected in 16th Round (#239 Overall) by Green Bay Gamblers

2023 & 2024 Highlight Reel

The first two highlights show key saves by Ryan Grout in a Salmon Arm Silverbacks' over time win against the Trail Smoke Eaters on December 1, 2023. It was Grout's 8th game in his rookie season in the British Columbia Hockey League.

The remaining highlights are from Grout's first shutout in the 2024-25 season; a 4-0 win over the Vernon Vipers on October 4, 2024. The Neutral Zone game report shown at the end of this article described his overall play during that game.

Interview

I had an opportunity to interview Ryan Grout, via email, about his hockey career and commitment to UNH:

Mike Lowry: Congratulations on your commitment to play for the University of New Hampshire. How did you first become interested in UNH?

Ryan Grout: I became very interested in UNH after I first talked to Glenn Stewart early last season in Salmon Arm. Being from Western Canada, I never really got exposure to teams out east. But after talking with Glenn, I learned a lot more about UNH.

Mike Lowry: What are the main reasons you chose to commit to UNH?

Ryan Grout: One of the main reasons I decided to pick UNH was the amazing coaching staff and the culture. I started talking with the goalie coach Sean Maguire and really connected with him. I love his approach to the position and believe I can learn a lot from him.

Lowry: What other college programs did you consider during the recruiting process? Which schools did you visit and which ones made an offer to you?

Grout: UNH was the only school I visited and was the main one I talked to during my process. After visiting, meeting all the coaches in person and seeing the culture they are building, I knew UNH is where I wanted to be.

Lowry: Have you and the UNH coaches agreed on a target date for you to enroll as a freshman at UNH and join the team?

Grout: As of right now, there is no set date. My job is just just focus on this year with Salmon Arm and perform to the best of my ability, then go from there.

Lowry: At this stage in your development as a goalie, what are the main strengths of your game? What areas are you trying to improve?

Grout: A lot of people think that goalies must be over 6”3 to be good. I’m not there yet height wise, so I have to make up for it in my other areas of the game, in my skating, play reading, and a high compete level. My job is to just stop the puck, no matter what the height sheet says.

For my areas to improve, I believe all areas of the game are things you should always be getting better at. Also little things that make big differences, like puck handling, communication to my defence, and many more.

Lowry: In your first season of junior hockey last year you posted a 11-3-0 record with the Salmon Arm Silverbacks. Among all BCHL goalies who played at least 15 games, you had the 6th best GAA (2.23) and 6th highest Save% (.926). The average age of BCHL players is over 18 years old and some are as old as 21. As a 16-year-old goalie, what were some of the challenges of facing so much older and more mature players?

Grout: The main challenges were the difference in speed and size. When you get to playing guys that are 3-4 years older than you, you really get a sense of the next level. I found it a very enjoyable experience and loved being pushed every day.

Lowry: Are there junior hockey leagues in America you would consider playing in before you enroll in college?

Grout: Currently, I am just focusing on this season and my time in Salmon Arm. The present is my main focus right now and I am just excited to get things going in Salmon Arm.

Lowry: When do you plan to graduate from high school? What are your academic strengths and interests? Have you thought about what you might major in when you enroll at UNH?

Grout: I’m graduating this year. My main academic strength is my attention to detail in my work. I enjoy language arts, and last year I took a high school business course that I really enjoyed. At UNH, I have taken a great interest in their business school and am thinking of enrolling into that.

Neutral Zone Scouting Reports

BCHL Games Report, October 17, 2024
"Grout had a shutout and was solid in this game, making several very good stops when called upon, although he did not face many shots. His numbers so far are impressive. He remains calm when there is traffic in front of him and tracks pucks well during scrambles, maintaining control in these situations. Overall, he looked very comfortable and confident. Although he is not very big, he is listed at 5’11”."
Alberta Cup, May 14, 2022
Grout had a dominant weekend for Alberta Gray as he led the tournament in GAA at 1.63 only allowing 5 goals on 91 shots, posting 2 shutouts in his 3 games played, also carrying a .945 SV%. He did have a tough night in his last game against black letting up 5 goals on 31 shots but was in total control early on in the tournament.
"Ryan is a technical goaltender that makes a ton of positional saves where he is in the right spots to make it look simple. Grout moves swiftly around his crease with solid pushes, getting to his post before attacking angles. He likes to play at the top of his crease and challenge shooters, taking away anywhere to shoot and swallows up pucks. Grout competes in his own crease and gets eyes on pucks through traffic, tracking them into his body. Pucks do not slip through Ryan as he stays composed within himself."

Youth & Junior Hockey Statistics

Player Season Team League GP Win Loss Tie GAA SV% SO
Ryan Grout (G) 2024-25 Salmon Arm Silverbacks BCHL 6 4 1 1 1.65 .938 2
2023-24 Salmon Arm Silverbacks BCHL 15 11 3 1 2.23 .926 1
2022-23 Northern Alberta Xtreme U17 Prep CSSHL U17 11 10 1 0 1.81 .921 1
Playoffs 2 2 0 0 2.00 .892 1
Northern Alberta Xtreme U18 Prep CSSHL U18 1 1 0 0 1.00 .969 0

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Hit Counter

Firefox 2