Tuesday, December 13, 2022

UNH Commit Conner de Haro: An Athletic, Mobile Defenseman

Conner de Haro
2024 or '25 UNH Commit
"He’s smart with the puck, values possession...moves as well backwards as he does forwards, he makes smooth pivots and transitions...underrated prospect to keep an eye on." Neutral Zone, August, 2021
Conner de Haro Defenseman, 5'10", 175 lbs. Shoots Left
Hometown: Raleigh, North Carolina
DOB: October 17, 2005; 17 years, 2 months
Neutral Zone Rating: 3.75 out of 5 Stars
Current Teams: Youngstown Phantoms (United States Hockey League)
Committed to UNH on November 4, 2022 at Age 17 years.

Interview

I had an opportunity to interview Conner de Haro, via email, about his hockey career and commitment to UNH:

Mike Lowry: Congratulations on your commitment to play for the University of New Hampshire. How did you first become interested in UNH?

Conner de Haro: First off, I want to say thank you and that I'm super excited to be committed to UNH. When I was younger it was always a dream of mine to play in Hockey East. So when Coach Giuliano first reached out to me I was excited to learn more about the school and its hockey program.

Mike Lowry: What are the main reasons you chose to commit to UNH?

Conner de Haro: The main reasons I chose to commit to UNH are that I like the coaching staff, the hockey team always has fans and a good student section, and I think the overall culture within the hockey team and around the school is good. Once I toured the campus I knew that I wanted to go there.

Mike Lowry: What other college programs did you consider during the recruiting process? Which schools did you visit and which ones made an offer to you?

de Haro: I toured a few other schools and had an offer from one other school. I liked the other schools but UNH was the one that stuck out to me as the best.

Lowry: Have you and the UNH coaches agreed on a target date for you to enroll as a freshman at UNH and join the team?

de Haro: No, we haven't talked too much about that and I haven't thought about it. I think the plan right now is just to wait and see how the next few years go and once the coaching staff believes I'm ready is when I will enroll. Saying that, I know that I'm not ready yet and need to keep getting better so I can put myself in the best possible position when I get to campus.

Lowry: At this stage in your development, what are the main strengths of your game? What areas are you trying to improve?

de Haro: At this stage of my development, I would say the main strengths of my game are my skating ability, hockey IQ, and passing ability. The main area that I'm trying to improve on is my defense.

Lowry: You participated in the 2021 USA Hockey Select 16 Player Development Camp. How do you think your skills compare with the other top US defensemen born in 2005?

de Haro: I would say that camp was really good for me because I got to play with and against some of the best kids in the country. I wasn't really getting that opportunity playing in North Carolina my whole life. It showed me that I can play with anyone as well as proving I still have a long way to go if I want to become one of the best.

Lowry: Last May, the Youngstown Phantoms selected you in the 6th Round (82nd Overall) of the USHL Futures Draft. You made their 2022-23 roster and as one of the youngest defensemen in the league, you've scored 2 assists in 17 games. What's it been like adjusting to the top junior league in the United States, both on and off the ice?

de Haro: It's been a big adjustment from 16U hockey mainly because of the size and speed of all the players. It's been really good though because I'm able to practice every day with really good players and coaches, making sure I get better every day.

Lowry: When do you plan to graduate from high school? What are your academic strengths and interests? Have you thought about what you might major in when you enroll at UNH?

de Haro: I plan to graduate from high school with a class of 24'. I would say my academic strengths are definitely math and science. I haven't really thought too much about a specific major but I know I would like to do something with business.

Neutral Zone Scouting Reports

USHL Showcase, November, 2022
"De Haro is a first year defender out of Fox Motors who only played in one game here and in a limited role but caught our attention. He’s improved his footwork especialy his first steps and agility and showed nifty stick skill in avoiding forecheckers and making quick puck decisions on the breakout. He’s athletic mobile has some skill and was able to gap up tight and angle opponents to the outside."
"He played in the Des Moines game and while he didn’t have a ton of shifts he looked comfortable in his USHL debut the moment wasn’t too big and he was able to pick his head up when he got the puck find the seams and move the puck and didn’t demonstrate panic or rushed decisions. Someone to keep an eye on going forward as he gets more ice time and experience as a late ’05 makes him one of the younger defenders in the league."
Select 16 USA Hockey Player Development Camp, August, 2021
"A mobile, honest defenseman out of Carolina Jr. Hurricanes who was a bit under the radar heading into camp but showed well for his first National Camp. He’s both balanced and quick laterally, he maintains tight gaps and uses his stick and body to defend. He moves the puck quickly and efficiently on breakouts, he has the athleticism to get off forecheckers and extend plays and can hold the offensive blue line. He has good recovery speed which allows him to take chances at the blue line and he’s able to walk the line, open up lanes and get pucks through to the net."
"He had just one assist here but he led several rushes up the ice, patrolled the blue line on the power play, and was able to work pucks to the slot and get shots through. He’s smart with the puck, values possession and showed real poise through the neutral zone. He moves as well backwards as he does forwards, he makes smooth pivots and transitions and doesn’t give up the blue lines easily. Underrated prospect to keep an eye on."

Youth & Junior Hockey Statistics

Player Season Team League GP Goals Asst Pts PIM +/-
Conner de Haro (D) 2022-23 Youngstown Phantoms USHL 17 0 2 2 8 +5
2021-22 Fox Motors 16U 16U AAA 61 10 38 48 - -
T1EHL 21 3 14 17 14 -
Team Columbia USA Select 16 5 0 1 1 0 -
2020-21 Carolina Jr. Hurricanes 15U 15U AAA 48 8 27 35 16 -
2019-20 Carolina Jr. Hurricanes 14U 14U AAA 56 10 20 30 52 -

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Hit Counter

Firefox 2