Wednesday, March 30, 2022

UNH Commit Ryan MacPherson: A Smart, Puck-Moving Center

Ryan MacPherson
2023 or '24 UNH Commit
"A smart center, (Ryan) MacPherson moves the puck quickly to his wingers in his own zone. He is slippery in the offensive zone, bouncing off checks while maintaining possession of the puck. He has a long skating stride that needs a bit of power to add more speed to his game." Neutral Zone
Ryan MacPherson Forward, 5'11", 180 lbs. Shoots Left
Hometown: Tecumseh, Ontario, Canada
DOB: March 2, 2005 Just Turned 17
2021 OHL Priority Selection: 9th Round (171st Overall) by Ottawa 67's
Neutral Zone Rating: 3.75 out of 5 Stars
Current Team: Leamington Flyers (GOJHL)
Committed to UNH in February, 2022 at Age 16 years, 11 months.

2021-22 Highlight Reel

Interview

I had an opportunity to interview Ryan MacPherson, via email, about his hockey career and commitment to UNH:

Mike Lowry: Congratulations on your commitment to play for the University of New Hampshire. How did you first become interested in UNH?

Ryan MacPherson: Thank you! I first became interested in UNH after talking to both coach Glenn Stewart and coach Jeff Guiliano about the school and hockey program.

Mike Lowry: What are the main reasons you chose to commit to UNH?

Ryan MacPherson: After visiting the school and talking with the coaches, I instantly had a good connection, felt really comfortable with everyone we met and it just felt like the right place for me. Also, after watching a game and seeing what the atmosphere was like at the Whittemore Center, I could see myself playing for UNH.

Lowry: How important was it to choose the same NCAA school as your twin brother Connor?

Ryan MacPherson: It was really important to choose the same NCAA school as my brother because we agreed that we wanted to still play together. Playing on the same team and line our whole hockey career has really impacted both of us. Having the ability to play on the same team will make the experience much more enjoyable.

Lowry: What other college programs did you consider during the recruiting process? Which schools did you visit and which ones made an offer to you?

Ryan MacPherson: We had met with a few other schools, but UNH was the first school where we had an official visit.

Lowry: Have you and the UNH coaches agreed on a target date for you to enroll as a freshman at UNH and join the team?

Ryan MacPherson: Knowing that it’s a big jump from Junior to University hockey, the discussion has centered around us enrolling when we are ready, with the possibility of that being our true freshman year (2023-2024).

Lowry: Which junior league(s) will you consider playing in before you go to UNH?

Ryan MacPherson: At this time, we are focused on our current season with the Leamington Flyers and we will look at options once the season is done. We are open to playing in other leagues (USHL, BCHL), but staying close to home and playing for Leamington again is an option as well.

Lowry: At this stage in your development, what are the main strengths of your game? What areas are you trying to improve?

Ryan MacPherson: I feel that the main strengths of my game are my playmaking ability and my vision. I’ve established myself as a playmaker that likes to set up my linemates. I also feel like I can see the ice really well, and can get the puck to where the open ice is.

Areas of my game I’m trying to improve are my strength, skating and shot. I feel like no matter what level of hockey you're playing at, you can always work on getting stronger/faster as well as making your shot more deceptive.

Lowry: So far this season, as a center for the Leamington Flyers in the Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League, you’ve scored 13 goals and 37 assists in 45 games. Do you prefer playing center?

Ryan MacPherson: Yes, I prefer playing center. I’ve played center my whole hockey career and I feel like center fits the style of hockey I play.

Lowry: When do you plan to graduate from high school? What are your academic strengths and interests? Have you thought about what you might major in when you enroll at UNH?

Ryan MacPherson: Right now I’m in grade 11, so I will be graduating from high school next year. My academic strengths are Math and Biology. I haven’t made a decision on what I want to take when I enroll at UNH, but I’m definitely interested in either Business or Kinesiology.

Neutral Zone Scouting Report

Alliance Bantam Showcase, Essex, ON: Top 85, October, 2019
"A smart center, (Ryan) MacPherson moves the puck quickly to his wingers in his own zone. He is slippery in the offensive zone, bouncing off checks while maintaining possession of the puck. He has a long skating stride that needs a bit of power to add more speed to his game."

Youth Hockey Statistics

Player Season Team League GP Goals Asst Pts PIM
Ryan MacPherson  (F) 2021-22 Leamington Flyers GOJHL 45 13 37 50 6
2020-21 Sun County Panthers U16 AAA Alliance U16 0 0 0 0 0
2019-20 Sun County Panthers U16 AAA Alliance U16 7 1 1 2 0
Playoffs 1 0 0 0 0

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Hit Counter

Firefox 2