Monday, August 30, 2021

UNH Commit Tyler Muszelik: An Elite 2004 Goalie

Tyler Muszelik
2022 UNH Commit
"He (Muszelik) has decent size and uses it well in his positioning to take away angles from shooters...It was impressive to see him in the shootout where he stopped every shot, and made it look easy along the way." Neutral Zone
"One of the best goaltenders in the country at his age group." Jeff Cox, New England Hockey Journal
Tyler Muszelik Goalie, 6'2", 195 lbs. Catches Left
Hometown: Long Valley, New Jersey
DOB: January 1, 2004; 17 years, 8 months
Neutral Zone Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars
Current Team: U.S. National Under-18 Team (USHL)
Committed to UNH in March, 2021 at Age 17 years, 2 months.

2020-21 Highlight Reel

Interview

I had an opportunity to interview Tyler Muszelik, via email, about his hockey career and commitment to UNH:

Mike Lowry: Congratulations on your commitment to play for the University of New Hampshire. How did you first become interested in UNH?

Tyler Muszelik: I first became interested in UNH while I was playing for the New Jersey Rockets my U15 year. My head coach at the time Noel Rubin had a good relationship with the coach’s at UNH and put me in touch with them and they showed me some videos of the atmosphere at games and what it’s like to play there and I really liked what I saw.

Mike Lowry: What are the main reasons you chose to commit to UNH?

Tyler Muszelik: I chose UNH for a few reasons. I think that it is a special place where everyone is a family. When I went to visit I got that feeling when even the lunch lady’s and the police officers driving by said hi and introduced themselves. I think that is a really special thing.

From the first time I talked to Mike Souza I really liked him and felt that over this past season with Team USA we built a good relationship talking about my games and how things were going and that meant a lot. Finally the Whittemore Center and the atmosphere at the games and how into the games people are, I thought was pretty special and wanted to be a part of it.

Lowry: What other college programs did you consider during the recruiting process? Which schools did you visit and which ones made an offer to you?

Muszelik: I’d say the process for me was a little different then most since COVID hit right during the recruiting time for me. I didn’t have a chance to visit many schools before I went out to Michigan for the (NTDP) season but I did talk with a lot of schools. I wanted to play in the Hockey East so I quickly narrowed it to a few Hockey East schools that I felt were the best fit for me - which were Boston College, Providence and New Hampshire - before coming to a decision.

Lowry: Have you and the UNH coaches agreed on a target date for you to enroll as a freshman at UNH and join the team?

Muszelik: As of now, we are on a plan to enroll after this upcoming U18 season at the NTDP and head into school the fall of 2022.

Lowry: At this stage in your development as a goalie, what are the main strengths of your game? What areas are you trying to improve?

Muszelik: I think my strengths right now are my size, my composure, and my ability to anticipate plays. I am trying to improve on becoming a better skater and being more efficient and making solid simple plays with the puck when playing it.

Lowry: What are your academic strengths and interests? Have you thought about what you might major in when you enroll at UNH?

Muszelik: I have a lot of interest in doing something in the sports world after my days of hockey are over. I am going to go into the business school at UNH as of now.

Neutral Zone Scouting Reports

USHL Goalie Report, January 2021
"Muszelik had a solid game for his team picking up a shootout win while stopping 30 of 34 shots. He has decent size and uses it well in his positioning to take away angles from shooters. He excels at handling the first shot and uses his positioning to make it difficult to beat him on straight-on shots. He did a good job of sealing the post well on dead angle shots as well, as he faced a good amount of attempts from the goal-line angles.
It was impressive to see him in the shootout where he stopped every shot, and made it look easy along the way. He showed great patience and control and forced shooters into uncomfortable situations when they came down. It was a well earned win for Muszelik who played strong and was dominant in the shootout for his team."
USA U17 NTDP vs Soo Eagles, October 2020
"Tyler has good size and moves quickly side to side to make the saves on the cross pass. He will come out of his net and play the puck and move it up ice. He faced 18 shots and posted a shutout. He did make a couple of rebound saves on a chaotic shift. He did make the initial saves and did a good job of controlling his rebounds."

Youth & Junior Hockey Statistics

Player Season Team League GP Wins Loss Ties GAA SV%
Tyler Muszelik (G) 2020-21 US National U17 Overall 23 10 14 0 4.36 .863
USNTDP Juniors USHL 18 5 10 2 4.88 .857
2019-20 New Jersey Rockets 16U USPHL 16U 8 8 0 0 1.39 .869
Playoffs 2 2 0 0 2.28 .896
Team Red USA Select 15 4 - - - 3.00 .919
2018-19 XHP Selects 15 WSI U15 3 - - - 3.60 .867

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Hit Counter

Firefox 2