Sunday, May 10, 2020

UNH Transfer Tyler Ward: A Skilled, Offensive Talent

Tyler Ward
Transfers to UNH
"Tyler’s small but really quick and dynamic with the puck in open ice. He reads the play well, makes terrific passes and has a deceptively powerful shot." Neutral Zone, January, 2017
“Tyler is a skilled, offensive talent who has become a more complete player. He has a very good release and will add depth to our forward group next season.” Tavis MacMillan, Denver Assistant Coach, April, 2018
Tyler Ward Forward, 5'10", 181 lbs. Shoots Left
Hometown: Kamloops, British Columbia
DOB: 8-19-1999 Turns 21 in August
Neutral Zone Rating: 3.75 out of 5 Stars
2019-20 Team: University of Denver (NCHC)
                       ~ Left Wing
Commits to UNH: April, 2020 at Age 20 years, 8 months.

2019-20 Denver Highlight Reel

Interview

I had an opportunity to interview Tyler Ward, via email, about his hockey career and transfer to UNH:

Mike Lowry ("C-H-C"): After playing your freshman and sophomore seasons at the University of Denver, you entered the NCAA Transfer Portal. How would you summarize your experience at Denver? What were the main factors that lead to your decision to transfer?

Tyler Ward: My experience at Denver was nothing but positive. The program was first class and I learned a lot in my first two years of college hockey. The main factors in my decision to transfer to UNH was to look for a new opportunity. I am very excited about joining this program.

Mike Lowry: Congratulations on your transfer to the University of New Hampshire. I've read that UNH was your second choice when you committed to Denver in December, 2016. What are the main reasons you chose UNH this time?

Tyler Ward: I have a lot of confidence in the UNH coaching staff, the program, and what this team can do.

Lowry: What other college programs did you consider transferring to? Did other colleges make you an offer?

Ward: I received numerous offers and I appreciated every one of them...but ultimately I feel that UNH is the right fit for me.

Lowry: I understand your preference is to be eligible to play for UNH in the 2020-21 season. If the NCAA does not implement the proposed one-time transfer waiver for Division I men's hockey for 2020-21, do you plan to enroll at UNH this Fall and be on the 2021-22 Wildcats roster?

Ward: I plan on playing as soon as possible. I am very excited to put on the Wildcats jersey.

Lowry: At this stage in your hockey development, what are the main strengths of your game? What areas are you trying to improve?

Ward: I think my strengths are in my speed and my offensive instinct. I am excited to learn from the UNH coaching staff and players and I am always looking to improve my game.

Lowry: In your freshman season at DU, you scored 5 goals including a game-winner, and 10 assists in 38 games. As a sophomore, your goal production doubled to 10 goals including 2 game-winners, and you added 9 assists in 35 games. Can you identify reasons why your goal scoring increased?

Ward: From my freshman to sophomore year, I felt more comfortable and I started to know the game of college hockey more which benefitted me on both sides of the puck.

Lowry: When the 2019-20 season ended prematurely due to the coronavirus pandemic, DU was ranked #6 in the nation (21-9-6) and destined to qualify for the NCAA Tournament. What was your reaction when the NCAA announced the cancellation of the season?

Ward: It was tough hearing the news that the season was cancelled. You play all year for playoffs and to try and win a national championship and when it was taken away due to something beyond my control, it definitely hurts but some things are bigger than hockey and this was one of them.

Lowry: Both years at Denver, you earned National Collegiate Hockey Conference Academic All-Conference honors and was named an NCHC Distinguished Scholar-Athlete in your freshman year. What are your academic strengths and interests? Have you thought about what you might major in when you enroll at UNH?

Ward: I am planning on majoring in Business. My academic strengths are that I try to stay on top of my work so that I can perform my best on the ice without distraction.

Youth, Junior & College Hockey Statistics

Player Season Team League GP Goals Asst Pts PIM +/-
Tyler Ward  (F) 2019-20 Denver NCHC 36 10 9 19 6 +12
2018-19 Denver NCHC 38 5 10 15 12 +6
2017-18 Tri-City Storm USHL 60 10 13 23 14 +2
Playoffs 2 1 0 1 0 +1
2016-17 Merritt Centennials BCHL 34 14 16 30 6 -
Playoffs 11 9 7 16 6 -
2015-16 Merritt Centennials BCHL 52 17 10 27 8 -
2014-15 Thompson Blazers BC Major Midget 40 14 13 27 31 -

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Hit Counter

Firefox 2