Tuesday, January 14, 2020

UNH Commit Damien Carfagna: A Fleet-Footed, Smart Defenseman

Damien Carfagna
2021 or '22 UNH Commit
"Tall defender. Athletic. Makes smart plays all over the ice. Escapes pressure in his own end by using quick feet. Not afraid to take open ice and has the ability to beat defenders in space." Neutral Zone
Damien Carfagna (Pronounced: CAR-FAHN-YA; just like how one would say "Lasagna")
Defenseman, 5'10", 161 lbs. Shoots Left
Hometown: Wood Ridge, New Jersey
DOB: 12-12-2002 Turned 17 in December
Neutral Zone Rating: 3.75 out of 5 Stars
Current Teams: Lawrence Academy/Neponset Valley River Rats U18
Commits to UNH: January, 2020 at Age 17 years, 1 month.

2019-20 NE Prep Highlight Reel

This year, Damien Carfagna enrolled as a junior at Lawrence Academy. He plays left defense on the Spartans' second unit, quarterbacks their first power play unit, and kills penalties. In this highlight reel, Carfagna wears #93 in the blue jersey. The first two clips are from the championship game between Lawrence and Dexter at the Watkins/Cushing Holiday Tournamant. Clip #1 shows Carfagna moving the puck at the top of the power play umbrella and earning the secondary assist on fellow UNH Commit David Sacco's goal. In Clip #2, Carfagna snaps a wrist shot from the left point and Conor Lovett converts the rebound for Lawrence's game-winning goal.

The next sequence of 5 video clips are from a December 19th game against Cushing Academy. They show Carfagna:
1) Stealing the puck on the backcheck, making the breakout pass, and firing the wrist shot which is redirected for Lawrence's first goal.
2) Picking up the loose puck in the defensive end, initiating the rush, then keeping the puck in the offensive zone.
3) Firing another wrist shot from the left point.
4) Making a long, stretch pass out of the defensive end.
5) Winning a 1-on-1 battle on the penalty kill.

Interview

I had an opportunity to interview Damien Carfagna, via email, about his hockey career and commitment to UNH:

Mike Lowry ("C-H-C"): Congratulations on your commitment to play for the University of New Hampshire. What are the main reasons you chose UNH?

Damien Carfagna: First off, thank you. I chose UNH for several reasons. It is a beautiful campus, it offers great academic programs that I was interested in and its hockey program has enjoyed a rich tradition and has a bright future. I was, in particular, very impressed with the coaches, who have multiple years of professional experience. There is so much I can learn from them.

Mike Lowry: Have you and the UNH coaches agreed on a target date for you to enroll as a freshman at UNH and join the team?

Damien Carfagna: We have not really talked about when I would be coming in as a freshman. We will discuss that more as I get closer to joining the team.

Lowry: At this stage in your hockey development, what are the main strengths of your game? What areas are you trying to improve?

Carfagna: My skating ability is what has gotten me this far in my hockey career. My feet help me get of trouble and create plays. I also feel that I do a good job at breaking out and regrouping the puck. I also have worked hard to study the game and I think I make good decisions. The thing that I have to improve on most would be my shot, which is accurate but needs to get heavier, but I believe that will come with getting stronger off the ice.

Lowry: You participated in the 2017 USA Hockey Select 15 Player Development Camp and the 2019 Select 17 Camp. How do you think your skills compare with the other top US defensemen born in 2002?

Carfagna: Both of those camps were great experiences for me as I was able to be around and compare myself to some of the best players in the country at my age. USA Hockey does a great job of making sure every player gets exposure at the camps. I feel that these camps allowed me to prove myself against the best and pushed me to work even harder. I think my skills compare well with some of those top players. As a younger 02, I was usually smaller than many of them but I feel that has helped me to develop other strengths that will serve me well in the future.

Lowry: When you were 12 years old back in February, 2015, you competed in the prestigious Quebec International Pee-Wee Tournament as a member of the New Jersey Devils Pee-Wee team. The tourney is known as hockey's version of the Little League World Series and has featured many future Hall of Famers. What are your memories of playing in your first international tournament?

Carfagna: The Quebec Pee-Wee International Tournament is probably the funnest hockey related event that I have been a part of. There was plenty of free time to go snow tubing and to play pond hockey. I loved playing in front of 12,000 people every game and competing against the best competition in the world. This was my first time actually playing against international teams.

Lowry: Growing up in Wood-Ridge, New Jersey, just down the road from the Meadowlands, were you a Devils fan? Who was your favorite player? You've worn jersey #93 for several years. Is there a significance to your choice of numbers?

Carfagna: I am not a Devils fan, I am a Flyers fan. My dad was a Broad Street Bullies fan growing up and I branched off of that. My favorite player is Miro Heiskanen of the Dallas Stars because I play a similar game to him. I wore the number 9 when I was younger (and at Don Bosco) but that number wasn’t available when I switched teams after the squirt years so I chose the number 93. My uncle had worn 93 because he loved Doug Gilmour. I had some success with it and decided to stick with it.

Lowry: Last season, you helped lead the Don Bosco Prep team to the New Jersey Non-Public School Championship. You scored 6 goals and 31 assists in 28 games and were named to the Third All-State Team. What were the main reasons you decided to leave your hometown and pursue your academic and hockey careers at Lawrence Academy in Groton, Massachusetts?

Carfagna: I had a great experience at Don Bosco Prep and it was very hard to leave. It’s a special place and I learned a great deal from my coaches about hockey and about life. I felt, though, that I was ready for a different challenge academically and athletically, and Lawrence Academy provided that opportunity, and along with it, important exposure to college and professional scouts.

Lowry: So far this season, you've scored 2 goals and 8 assists in 10 games and Lawrence Academy is tied for 1st in the latest New England Prep School Poll. How have you helped contribute to the Spartans' success?

Carfagna: We've gotten off to a very good start this year, and I have worked my hardest to help the team win. We play a team game and have a lot of talented players that all contribute to our success in their own way.

Lowry: Last May, you attended the Muskegon Lumberjacks (USHL) tryout camp as an undrafted player, made one of the camp's All-Star teams, but did not make the final roster or affiliates list. Do you plan to play in the USHL, BCHL, NAHL or other junior league before enrolling at UNH?

Carfagna: The camp in Muskegon was an eye-opening experience for me being my first USHL camp. This camp allowed me to realize how much work I would need to put in so that I can compete in the USHL. I would predict that I play at least one year of juniors in one of these leagues, if not another league. The USHL, NAHL, and BCHL all have a great track record of preparing players for college hockey and beyond.

Lowry: You're listed as a junior at Lawrence Academy. Do you plan to graduate from high school in Spring, 2021? What are your academic strengths and interests? Have you thought about what you might major in when you enroll at UNH?

Carfagna: I plan on graduating in the spring of 2021. My biggest academic strengths so far have been in English and history. I am interested in majoring in Sports Management, Business, or Communications, but I am still a long way away from deciding that.

Neutral Zone Scouting Reports

From the Groton-Lawrence Holiday Tournament, December, 2019
"(Damien) comes to Lawrence from Don Bosco in New Jersey and opened some eyes this weekend. He is a tall defender that still has some to fill out. He makes smart plays all over the ice. He escapes pressure in his own end by using quick feet and then snaps passes to his wingers. He is always in the right position and doesn’t waste many movements in either zone. Not afraid to take open ice and has the ability to beat defenders in space. He made several nice plays in transition to hit forwards in stride. Good keeps at the offensive blueline. Athletic and used his feet to create shot opportunities. He will be an interesting player to follow over the season."
ISS Princeton Showcase Top 25, December, 2018
"Another smart defender for the Mercer Chiefs, Carfagna showed good anticipation in the defensive zone by stepping into shooting and passing lanes. His skating ability allows him to move laterally with ease and he showed his closing speed. He has a very active stick which he does a nice job of touching puck and going into transition."

Youth Hockey & Prep School Statistics

Player Season Team League GP Goals Asst Pts PIM
Damien Carfagna  (D) 2019-20 Lawrence Academy NE Prep 10 2 8 10 -
NV River Rats 18U Beast Series 10 2 1 3 2
Playoffs 1 0 0 0 0
2018-19 Don Bosco Prep New Jersey HS 28 6 31 37 -
Mercer Chiefs 16U AYHL 16U 22 1 12 13 20
2017-18 Mercer Chiefs 15U AYHL 15U 27 4 11 15 14
T1EHL U15 3 1 0 1 0

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Hit Counter

Firefox 2