Wednesday, March 02, 2016

Meet UNH Commit Anthony Wyse

Defenseman Anthony Wyse
Commits to UNH


Defenseman Anthony Wyse
(Photo: Francis Gardler/Journal Star)
Last Wednesday, Anthony Wyse (DOB: 3/29/1996), a 6'4", 225 lbs, left shot defenseman with the Lincoln Stars (USHL) committed to the University of New Hampshire. In his rookie season in the USHL, Wyse has scored 2 goals and 14 assists and logged 18 penalty minutes in 48 games. He is the starting left defenseman, plays on the Stars' first penalty kill unit and is tied for 9th place in power play assists (9) among all USHL players.

In early December, Stars General Manager Jon Hull described Anthony's contributions:
“I think he’s an impactful player. He’s a guy that plays a lot. I think (head coach) Chris (Hartsburg) and (assistant) Mick (Berge) rely on him a lot, our staff relies on him a lot. He is a very calming player with the puck, he’s calculated, he’s able to distribute with precise accuracy. Anytime you can have a guy play 20 to 22 minutes a night, he’s a big asset to the team.”
Here's a video highlight from a recent game showing Wyse's ability to carry the puck end-to-end, elude opposing skaters, and snap a shot on goal:



Anthony developed his youth hockey skills at Lovell Hockey based in Hingham, MA and played four years of midget hockey with the Boston Advantage Hockey Club. In January, 2014, while a member of the Boston Advantage Under 18 team, Wyse committed to play hockey at Dartmouth College. A few months later, he was drafted by the Lincoln Stars in the 1st Round (5th overall selection) of the United States Hockey League Entry Draft.

Wyse is from Newton, Massachusetts and graduated from Newton North High School in June, 2014. He was also a star player for his high school lacrosse team.

I had an opportunity to interview Anthony Wyse, via email, about his hockey career and commitment to UNH:

Mike Lowry ("C-H-C"): Congratulations on your commitment to play for the University of New Hampshire. What are the main reasons you chose UNH?

Anthony Wyse: Everything, the coaches, the team, the people, the campus, mid-way through my visit I knew I was going to commit to UNH because I just fell in love with it.



Mike Lowry: What other college programs were you considering?

Anthony Wyse: I was considering a few but the two I was considering the most were Maine and UVM.



Lowry: Have you and the UNH coaches agreed on a target date for you to enroll as a freshman at UNH and join the team?

Wyse: Yes, we have agreed that I will enroll next year, so the fall of 2016.



Lowry: You originally committed to Dartmouth College back in January, 2014. Can you comment on the change in commitment?

Wyse: I had been told that my academics were sufficient enough to get into the school but about a month or two ago out of the blue they told me my scores weren't above the Dartmouth index and that I needed 30 more points in math on the SAT to be above the Dartmouth index. Long story short I de-committed.



Lowry: At this stage in your hockey development, what are the strengths of your game? What areas are you trying to improve?

Wyse: My strengths are my vision, my "escapability", and my "stick". Areas I am trying to improve are my shot and quickness.



Lowry: You missed the 2014-15 season due to hip surgery and the subsequent rehabilitation. How would you describe the recovery process?

Wyse: Long, frustrating, and boring. It was about a 10 month recovery process where the first 5 months the only people I saw were my family, my physical therapist and my trainer.



Lowry: What are your academic strengths and interests?

Wyse: Business and biology are both strengths and interest for me.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Hit Counter

Firefox 2