Friday, November 22, 2013

NH Native Chris Miller Commits to UNH for 2015

2015 UNH Recruit
Chris Miller


Many youngsters growing up in New Hampshire dream of playing hockey for their state university, but very few earn the opportunity. If all goes according to plan, 18-year-old forward Chris Miller from Windham, NH will be one of the fortunate native sons. The 5'7", 155 lbs speedster from the Junior Bruins organization has announced his verbal commitment to play for UNH beginning in the Fall of 2015.

Miller is currently tied for fifth in scoring on the Jr. Bruins Premiere team in the newly-formed United States Premiere Hockey League. So far this season, he has scored 5 goals, including a game-winner, and 4 assists in 18 games.

Jr. Bruins Chris Miller
(Photo: Dave Arnold)
Miller first joined the Jr. Bruins organization in the 2011-12 season when he scored 14 goals and 37 assists for their Empire League team. In the spring of 2012, Chris earned an invitation to the USA Hockey Selects 17 Player Development Camp. At the time, the U.S. Hockey Report provided this assessment:
"Small forward is a sparkplug, a hardworking player with offensive capabilities. Pays attention to detail and is not afraid to get his nose dirty."
Last season, Miller posted 5 goals and 6 assists for the Junior Bruins in the Eastern Junior Hockey League. Chris is a strong special teams player. So far this season, he has scored a power play and a short-handed goal.

I had an opportunity to interview Chris, via email, about his background, commitment to UNH, and future plans:   

Mike Lowry ("C-H-C"):  Congratulations on your commitment to play for the University of New Hampshire.  What are the main reasons you chose UNH?
Chris Miller: Thank you very much. I chose the University of New Hampshire for a variety of different reasons. Not only does it offer great academics - more specifically a great business program - but it also allows me to play in front of friends and family in my home state of New Hampshire. UNH seems to be the perfect fit. It has been my dream hockey school for some time now and I didn’t hesitate when I was given the opportunity to become a Wildcat.

Mike Lowry:  What other college programs were you considering?
Chris Miller:   I was considering some other Division 1 schools as well as a number of Division 3 NESCAC schools.

Lowry:  Have you and the UNH coaches agreed on a target date for you to enroll as a freshman at UNH and join the team?
Miller: Yes, the coaching staff and I have targeted the fall of 2015 for my arrival. 

Lowry: You've played for the Junior Bruins organization for the last 3 seasons and currently play for their USPHL team. Do you anticipate playing another season of junior hockey before coming to UNH? If so, what leagues are you considering?
Miller: As my target date for UNH is a year and a half away, I will be playing juniors again next season in the USPHL. I’m going to play for Coach Masters and the Junior Bruins organization during that time because I feel it gives me the best opportunity to prepare for college hockey.

Lowry: What are the strongest aspects of your skills as a forward and what areas are you working to improve? 
Miller: I feel my skating is my strongest aspect. Being small in stature I try to use my speed and energy all around the ice. I’m looking to improve my shot and overall scoring ability before I arrive in Durham.  

Lowry: Where do you currently go to school and what grade are you in? What are your academic strengths? Is there a major course of study you would like to pursue when you get to UNH?  
Miller: I graduated from Windham High School last year and I currently attend Middlesex Community College in Lowell, Massachusetts as a part time student. I feel my writing has come a long way over the years and I would say it’s one of my strong points now. At the University of New Hampshire I would like to pursue a business major, as I’m interested in owning a company in the future.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Hit Counter

Firefox 2