Friday, July 05, 2013

UNH Recruit Dylan Chanter Joins Dubuque Fighting Saints



After a successful two-year stint with the Merritt Centennials of the BCHL, Dylan Chanter has decided to play for the Dubuque Fighting Saints of the United States Hockey League in the 2013-14 season. The 6'3", 203 lbs., right-shot defenseman compiled a record of 11 goals, 22 assists, and 78 penalty minutes in his two seasons with the Cents.

In his rookie season (2011-12), Chanter was one of only three 16-year-old defensemen to play the entire year in the BCHL. Last season, he lead all Cents' defensemen in goal scoring with 9 goals, including 3 power play goals. Among all BCHL defensemen, Chanter was tied for 3rd in goal scoring.

During the USHL Draft in early May, Dubuque selected Chanter in the 5th round. He was the 75th overall pick in the draft.

Dylan is from Armstrong, British Columbia located about 15 miles north of Vernon. Last week, he graduated from high school. Chanter will be eligible for the 2014 NHL Draft to be held June 27th in Philadelphia. Back in February, 2012, Chanter committed to play for UNH.

I had an opportunity to interview Dylan Chanter, via email, about his decision to play for the Dubuque Fighting Saints:

Mike Lowry ("C-H-C"): Congratulations on your move to the Dubuque Fighting Saints of the USHL. What were the primary reasons behind your decision?
Dylan Chanter: The primary reasons behind my decision were development, change, and continuing to push the envelope. I felt that Dubuque was going to be a good place to further develop myself as a hockey player with NHL calibre coaching with Matt Shaw as well as a winning attitude.
I also thought it was time for a change. As much as I enjoyed my last 2 seasons in Merritt, I didn't think a third season there was a smart decision.
Lastly, pushing the envelope played the primary role in my decision to play in Dubuque. I felt that this was my best option to prepare myself for UNH and eventually professional hockey.
All in all it was a family decision and we felt that this was the best step in continuing my hockey career.

Mike Lowry: Are you still on track to enroll at UNH in the Fall of 2014?
Dylan Chanter: Yes, I do still plan on enrolling in the fall of 14' at UNH.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Hit Counter

Firefox 2