Tuesday, July 24, 2012

UNH Recruit Andrew Poturalski Deals With Injury

18-year-old Andrew Poturalski was having a great spring and summer. After scoring 16 goals and 22 assists in 33 regular season games with the Buffalo Junior Sabres (Ontario Junior Hockey League), Poturalski potted 5 goals in 8 OJHL Playoff games. Next, he graduated from the Nichols Prep School in Buffalo. Then, it was off to Cedar Rapids, Iowa for the Rough Riders' Tryout Camp. As previously reported, Poturalski performed at a high level at the camp. Head Coach Mark Carlson recently confirmed that Andrew had made the 25-man roster which was submitted to the USHL on July 1st.

As the hazy, hot and humid weather settled over Buffalo, Poturalski was keeping in shape and having a fun skate with some buddies. That's when a fluke injury messed up Andrew's summer. In the following interview, Andrew Poturalski describes his injury and how it has effected his hockey plans:

C-H-C: I hear that Friday the 13th was a bad luck day for you. Would you describe the injury and what happened?
Andrew Poturalski: Friday the 13th was, in fact, a very unlucky day for me. I broke my leg during a summer skate and I unfortunately fractured my fibula.

C-H-C: Last November with the Buffalo Junior Sabres (OJHL), you broke your ankle during practice and returned to the lineup in 8 weeks. About how long will it take to recover from the current injury?
Poturalski: It all depends on how it heals so I can't exactly say when. I'm going to work hard to get back as soon as my doctor gives me medical clearance and only time will tell.

C-H-C: Last season, you were called up to play a couple games with the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders (USHL) and you scored a couple goals. In June, you played well at the RoughRiders' Tryout Camp and made the 25-man roster. Will you be going out to Cedar Rapids to rehab your leg and train?
Poturalski: Yes, I plan to go to Cedar Rapids when their season starts up and as soon as the doctor gives me clearance to start the rehab. They have rehab facilities in Cedar Rapids and doctors on staff that will help me get back and I'm hoping for a fast recovery. I look forward to being around the team even though I will be going through rehab at that point.

C-H-C: Is it your understanding that Coach Carlson will place you on the active roster when you return from your injury?
Poturalski: I've spoken many times with Coach Carlson throughout my time that I've been injured and he wishes me a speedy recovery. I'm going to work hard and plan to contribute to the team as soon as I get back.

C-H-C: Originally, you and UNH were targeting the fall of 2013 for you to come to Durham. Are you still on track for that arrival or is there a possibility your injury may postpone the target to Fall 2014?
Poturalski: I've spoken with the UNH coaching staff and if everything goes according to plan with my rehab, I'm still on target to arrive in the fall of 2013!

C-H-C: You recently graduated from the Nichols School in Buffalo. Are you planning to take any courses next year to further your education?
Poturalski: I'm planning on taking some online courses while being in Cedar Rapids so that the credits will transfer over to UNH.
I'd like to add that I am looking forward to playing in Cedar Rapids next season. Coach Carlson is a great coach, and I know he will help me improve my game tremendously. After that I can't wait to get to UNH and be a Wildcat!

The Cedar Rapids Rough Riders will begin their training camp in late August. They open the regular season on September 29th against the defending USHL Champion, Green Bay Gamblers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Hit Counter

Firefox 2