Monday, December 01, 2008

WHM: "Lack of Effort"

Hockey East Online: Umile Audio

I have to disagree. I saw plenty of effort out there. What I did not see was execution.

The first two periods were largely futile on the part of our Wildcats. Sure they skated well and played extremely disciplined hockey. But what is with the horrible passing? Being weak on the puck? Friendly checking? They would battle then turn it over with a poor play resulting in very little quality puck possession. How they escaped with a two-two tie after two is beyond me and this is taking nothing away from the score by Kapstad on a good heavily screened shot during the five-on-three and definitely no disrespect to the make-no-mistake play from van Riemsdyk to Moses who roofed it perfectly just past Cannata's left shoulder. Nevermind Bobby Butler's brilliant push through the Merrimack 'd' and brutally accurate top-shelf laser.

Now I'll grant that Merrimack played well and the puck bounced for them. I'll even go so far as to allow that this is all just a horrible string of coincident games where injury and realistic losses and rare losses have combined in a sort of perfect storm that has resulted in what may be the worst first half for a Wildcat team in more than a decade.

I'll admit, I'm hearing the "lack of effort" line from a number of quarters - fans, players and coaches now. But unless I see a turning of the corner on this funk I'm going to be inclined to believe that a "lack of effort" is really an excuse for our 2008-2009 Wildcats who just don't seem to want it and simply can't get it done, but history will be the judge of that. For now I see three games on the docket before the holiday break and a really good shot at beginning to resolve the problems that have plagued the team thus far. Let's set our sights on Lowell. One game at a time.

Go 'Cats!

2 Comments:

Blogger HShoer said...

I just wanted to correct what you said about the goal from van riemsdyk ... it was actually moses who picked up the pass and scored

Dec 1, 2008, 3:18:00 PM  
Blogger THE UNH MEN'S HOCKEY BLOGGER GUY said...

Absolutely! Thanks for catching my mistake!

That was a great shot by Steve!

Dec 1, 2008, 3:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Hit Counter

Firefox 2