Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Sean Collins and Justin Aikins Landed

... In Finland yesterday.

The Wildcat alum duo will suit up for Sport Vaasa (who go by the moniker, Sport) one of the top ranked hockey clubs in their division, Mestis, and with the pair's help will compete for the move into the top Finish hockey league, the SM-League, alongside another Wildcat alum, Steve Saviano, who plays for Tappara Tampere there.

Word is from a dedicated Sport fan (thanks for all the great info, bud) that the two will be on a line with Paul Cabana, longtime teammate and friend of Saviano from his days with the Florida Everblades - I hear that the two towns are about 3 hours apart and that they're sure to get together from time to time.

I'm working on getting a link to an interview with Sean after the first practice so check back soon. In the meantime here's a link to an interview transcript.

Some excerpts:
Sean Collins (USA) will arrive Vaasa at the end of this week.
Steve Saviano representing Tappara in SM-Liiga and Paul Cabana who played in Vaasa Sport last season has been major influents when Sport signed their latest two North-American players.

(Sean) - Steve Saviano called me and asked if i was interested in going to Europe
to play and I told him I was thinking about making the jump to Europe so he
put me in touch with his agent.
(Sean) - Being a smaller player I doubt I am going over there to be a fighter! From my days at the University of New Hampshire and my days as a professional my role is to put points on the board and set up my goal scoring teammates.
(Sean) - I played with Justin for four years at UNH, we were roommates for three of the four years, so we know each other very well. I talked to Justin a lot during the year when he went to Germany and when he came back to the states, and we always said we wanted to play together at some point before our careers were over.


Be sure to read the rest - it's a great interview!

So, the video should be here but I couldn't view it on my Mac with Firefox - let me know if any of you have any success in viewing it! Thanks!

The two will play in their first preseason game tomorrow.

Here's to a great season!

*BREAKING NEWS*

I've just gotten word that Tyson Typlitsky, much to the chagrin of the Cardiff Devil fans, has left team and signed alongside Saviano to play for Tappara Tampere.

They're going to think there's a Wildcat invasion soon!

Go 'Cats!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Hit Counter

Firefox 2