Monday, October 01, 2007

It's October Hockey Fans

September 2007 has come and gone and it has been a record month for The UNH Men's Hockey Blog. Last month saw more visits and more page views than any month here at TUMHB where I'll be celebrating this blog's one year anniversary at the end of this month!

But that's last month and October is here now!

No, not just my birthday month - it's hockey season!

First practice is October 6th, five days away! Exhibition game is a mere 11 days away! And the season opener will be at BU in just 18 days!

Are you feeling it yet!?

The chill in the air. The scent of autumn leaves tingling in your nose. That buzz in the pit of your stomach as we anxiously await the moment that our men bury that first puck in the back of the net!

For those that have not seen it, I title-linked a recent Union Leader article by Al Pike - posted to the USCHO Fan Forum by NCAA Watcher. I take some issue with it as he claims our Coach takes a wait-and-see approach with freshmen (easily disputed by the solid fact of the number of games played by freshmen over the last 17 years) and that Mike Sislo was EJHL Player of the Year last year (incorrect, as it was fellow freshman, New Hampshire native, Paul Thompson) - otherwise a great article. And it does point out a glaring omission on my part for not playing up the potential contributions of Mike Sislo. Mike contributed quite often for the USHL's Green Bay Gamblers alongside fellow Future 'Cat, Mike Borisenok, - the two of whom if they got out of there without being referred to as Mike & Ike, I'd be surprised - putting up 23 goals and 26 assists, for the non-mathematically inclined, that's 49 points in 60 games, good enough for 28th in the league. There is strong suggestion in the article that Mike is in the hunt for playing time alongside fellow freshmen, Phil DeSimone and James vanRiemsdyk.

Well, I'll let you read the rest for yourselves - just click on the title of this post.

I also want to put in a quick plug so that everyone takes note of how well Future 'Cat, Steve Moses('08), is playing. Thus far he has 8 assists in 5 games and had started with 7 in the first 3. Way to go Steve!

Fellow Future 'Cat, Greg Burke('09), has only seen limited action in one game so far as he recovers from what I've heard is a knee injury (I could be wrong on this) - get well soon, Greg!

A quick Alumni note: I'm playing in a league that is run by and played in by Ken McKinnon ('62)! UNH's first Canadian! I've talked to him on the phone but have not met him in person yet. I'll see if I can bring you some Ol' Time UNH Hockey stories to you when I do and do my best to keep him off the scoreboard!

Hope everyone's October is off to a great start!

Go 'Cats!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Hit Counter

Firefox 2