Sunday, April 14, 2019

UNH Commit Lucas Herrmann: A Hard-Working, Gritty Forward

Lucas Herrmann
2019 UNH Commit
"Hermann had a level of snarl that at times helped him and at times did not..The 2000 was not intimidated by older players. He was not huge or heavy but very strong and skated well..He had some nice tools, soft hands and is a solid prospect." Neutral Zone
Lucas Herrmann Forward, 6'2", 187 lbs. Shoots Left
Hometown: Buffalo, New York
DOB: 8-1-2000 Turns 19 in August
Current Team: Madison Capitols (USHL)
                       ~ First/Second Line Center; First Power Play Unit
Commits to UNH: April, 2019 at Age 18 years, 8 months.

2018-19 USHL Highlight Reel

During the 2017-18 season, Lucas Herrmann was a 17-year-old senior in high school playing his first year of junior hockey in the North American Hockey League. He tallied 6 goals and 19 assists in 54 games. One month after the season ended, the Madison Capitols selected Herrmann in the 5th round (80th overall) of the 2018 United States Hockey League draft.

Over his first 21 games in the USHL this season, Hermmann centered the Capitols' first line in seven games. His offensive production was limited to 2 assists. Herrmann turned it around beginning on January 17th. Over the final 32 games of the season, he scored 14 goals and 6 assists. Six of the goals came on Madison's power play, another was an overtime, game-winner, two were game-tying goals, and one came in a shootout. When Herrmann committed to UNH last week, Madison head coach Garrett Suter said:
"We drafted Lucas knowing he could do big things for us, and when he finally broke through, the flood gates opened. Not only has he been producing on the ice, but off as well. When we traded [Josh] Boyer at the deadline, Lucas stepped up and filled the hole as an alternate captain.”
These video highlights show how tough and productive Lucas Herrmann can be in front of the opposing goalie:

Interview

I had an opportunity to interview Lucas Herrmann, via email, about his hockey career and commitment to UNH:

Mike Lowry ("C-H-C"): Congratulations on your commitment to play for the University of New Hampshire. What are the main reasons you chose UNH?

Lucas Herrmann: Thank you! I chose UNH because I really felt comfortable on campus, with the coaches, and with the players. They have a historic hockey program and is a very strong academic school.

Mike Lowry: What other college programs were you considering? Which schools did you visit and which ones made an offer to you?

Lucas Herrmann: I was talking to a few schools and had visits lined up but once I went to UNH, I felt at home and knew I did not want to be anywhere else.

Lowry: Do you plan to enroll at UNH next Fall? How far along are you in the process of applying for NCAA eligibility and admission to the University of New Hampshire?

Herrmann: Yes, I will be enrolling in the Fall. I have not started applying yet. We have 2 games left in the season this weekend and I will be starting that process after we finish up here in Madison.

Lowry: At this stage in your hockey development, what are the main strengths of your game? What areas are you trying to improve?

Herrmann: I would say I am a 200 foot player. I do well in the face off circle, I am physical and get to the dirty areas. I am trying to improve on my agility and am always trying to improve my overall strength.

Lowry: Over the first 21 games in this, your first season in the United States Hockey League, you tallied 2 assists for the Madison Capitals. Then you went on a run of scoring 13 goals and 6 assists in 25 games. What factors have lead to this dramatic increase in offensive production?

Herrmann: I had a slow start to the season and the bounces were not going my way and I started to grip the stick a little bit. I broke my jaw in November and had to sit out 9 games and I learned a lot and came back after Christmas with more confidence in myself and the team. I stopped thinking about scoring because I was so excited to play again and I started to put it all together.

Lowry: You and teammate Kalle Eriksson, a defenseman and fellow UNH commit, are key players on the Capitals' power play. Would you describe Eriksson's skill set?

Herrmann: Kalle is a very talented player. I have never seen someone so calm and fluid on the ice. He is a solid defenseman and is very offensive as well. He is a key component on our team and especially on our power play. He can get the puck through traffic and on net every time. I’m very excited I get to play along side him for 4 more years.

Lowry: Last season, you played for the Odessa Jackalopes and Topeka RoadRunners in the North American Hockey League. Why did you decide to move over to the USHL this season? What differences do you see between the NAHL and USHL?

Herrmann: I really enjoyed my time in the NAHL. I met a lot of amazing people and had some awesome coaches. I decided to move to the USHL because it is known as the premier league for junior hockey. I wanted to be able to take my game to the next level and I believe that this league would give me the opportunity to do so.
The main difference between the NAHL and the USHL is the physicality. The NAHL South especially is a very tough division to play in. The USHL is a faster paced game with a lot of skill.

Lowry: You attended the Nichols School in Buffalo as a sophomore and junior and played for Head Coach Jamie Printz. A number of forwards coached by Printz have gone on to succeed at higher levels. Frankie Cefalu played 4 years at UNH. Andrew Poturalski was an All-American at UNH and is a leading scorer in the American Hockey League. Sean Malone was drafted by the Buffalo Sabres and plays in the AHL. How did Coach Printz help your development?

Herrmann: Coach Printz and all of my coaches I had in my 3 years playing at Nichols really helped me find what kind of player I have to be to be successful. They worked with my on how to use my frame to protect pucks and drive the net and they helped me work on my weaknesses every practice. Nichols does an amazing job shaping kids as players and students.

Lowry: What are your academic strengths and interests? Have you thought about what you might major in when you enroll at UNH?

Herrmann: I have always been a strong student in the math and science departments. I am very interested in the sciences and history. I am leaning towards being a business major but I am also thinking about the sport studies program.

Neutral Zone Scouting Reports

From the NAHL Showcase, October, 2017
"Hermann had a level of snarl that at times helped him and at times did not. He walked the line for sure. The 2000 was not intimidated by older players. He was not huge or heavy but very strong and skated well. He worked and finished his checks. He was thrown out of one game for a hit from behind, which resulted in limited viewing. He had some nice tools, soft hands and is a solid prospect."
From Lawrenceville Holiday Tournament, January, 2017
"He is not pretty but gets the job done. Lucas is an average skater with a good shot that he can get off in a crowd. He had a dynamite weekend and was one of the top scorers through hard work and grit. The work ethic is high end and he goes to all the right places and does all the little things to help his team win. A really solid 200ft player who gets in on the forecheck and takes the body, plays a pretty direct game and drives the net."

Junior Hockey & Prep School Statistics

Player Season Team League GP Goals Asst Pts PIM
Lucas Herrmann  (F) 2018-19 Madison Capitals USHL 53 14 8 22 52
2017-18 Odessa Jackalopes NAHL 37 2 10 12 82
Topeka RoadRunners NAHL 17 4 9 13 31
2016-17 Nichols School CISAA 14 6 7 13 16
Playoffs 2 0 0 0 0
2015-16 Nichols School CISAA 9 2 1 3 4
Playoffs 3 0 2 2 0

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Hit Counter

Firefox 2